We're very excited to be at the Ultimate Blog Party! Sorry we're a little late in joining, but we promise next year, we'll come up with gift ideas to give away!!
But I won't let you leave empty-handed!! Oh no - that just won't do! I figured, why don't we make some vegan Shepherd's Pie? It's one of my classics, and always a big hit at parties (they don't have to know it's vegan!)
Shepherd's Pie (Vegan)
I never thought I can be long-term vegetarian because I love Sherpherd's Pie too much. This is challenged when I ate at a vegan buffet in Toronto. I ran home and made one for myself, and it's my regular since. Of course it's not the same as the meaty shepherd's pie, but it's still very good!
- 6 red-skin Potatoes, smashed
- 2 cup of Green Giant's Peaches and cream sweet corn
- 1 package firm tofu
- 2 tomatoes, skinned
- 3 shallots (or 1 onion), minced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- To skin tomatoes, boil them in hot water. Once floating, take out and place in cold water. Then peel.
- Boil potatoes for 30 minutes until cooked. Cool, and smash (I like the skin so I leave them on).
- Heat oil in pan, add garlic, onions, and tofu cubes until slightly golden and fragrant. Add into chunk tomatoes.
- Place tofu mixture into baking pan.
- Place smash potatoes over tofu mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes till top is golden.
Vegan Chocolate cake!!
The key is fantastically quality dark chocolate.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 bananas, chopped
- 1 bar of quality dark chocolate
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup cold water or brewed coffee
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 2 Tbsps vinegar
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar into an ungreased 8 inch square or 9 inch round baking pan. In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, apple sauce, water or coffee, and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter where the baking soda and the vinegar are reacting. Stir just until the vinegar is is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Add bananas, chocolate chunks, and bake for 45 minutes. Let the cake cool.
That and a good cup of soy Chai.
I hope you like the food and drinks. I'll be blog hopping and hope to see you soon!